Disability Alliance BC (DABC)
1450-605 Robson St, Vancouver BC V6B 5J3
Phone: 604-872-1278 TTY: 604-875-8835 Fax: 604-875-9227
Toll Free: 1-800-663-1278
Hours: Monday to Friday 8:30am – 4:30pm (by appointment only, we do not offer drop in services)
Programs & Services:
· Provincial disability assistance: Advocates can assist people to apply for the BC provincial disability benefits, as well as assist with reconsiderations/appeals in the event of a denied application. Provincial disability benefits refer to either the Persons with Disabilities benefit (PWD) or the Persons with Persistent Multiple Barriers benefit (PPMB) and is explained here: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/family-social-supports/services-for-people-with-disabilities/disability-assistance
Here is a helpsheet which describes eligibility for PWD: https://disabilityalliancebc.org/hs2/
Please note that everyone who wishes to apply for PWD must first apply for income assistance. Our organization cannot assist with an income assistance application and so we recommend that interested individuals first call the Ministry of Social Development and Poverty Reduction at 1 866 866 0800 to get started on the income assistance application process and to contact our organization once they have received the PWD booklet from the Ministry.
· CPP-D: Advocates can assist people to apply for federal disability benefits through Canada Pension Plan-Disability as well as assist with reconsiderations/appeals in the event of a denied application. The CPP-D benefits are explained here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/benefits/publicpensions/cpp/cpp-disability-benefit.html
For help with PWD or CPP-D please call 604-872-1278, Toll Free 1-800-663-1278 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
· Access RDSP: Advocate can assist with Disability Tax Credit (DTC) applications, renewals, and appeals as well as provide support on opening and managing a Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP).
For assistance with the DTC or RDSP please call 604-872-1278 or email: email@example.com
For more information on the DTC, https://disabilityalliancebc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/HS14.pdf. For more information on the RDSP, https://disabilityalliancebc.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/HS15.pdf, or visit www.rdsp.com.
· Tax AID: Advocates can provide free support on income tax filing and other tax related issues to people receiving Persons with Disabilities (PWD), Persons with Persistent Multiple Barriers to Employment (PPMB), Canadian Pension Plan-Disability (CPP-D), Workers’ Compensation Board (WBC) benefits, or Disability Tax Credit (DTC). Priority is given to clients who make below $35,000 individually and $42,000 as a couple.
Local: 236-477-1717 | Toll Free: 1-877-940-7797
· Disability Law Clinic: DABC has a staff lawyer who can provide free legal advice to people with disabilities for the following situations:
· discrimination based on disability/ failure to accommodate a disability
· questions related to eligibility for private disability benefits (such as Long Term Disability)
· questions from people whose financial affairs are managed by the Public Guardian and Trustee of BC
Our law clinic cannot assist with:
· criminal matters, including those that may affect safety, such as harassment
· family law
· wills and estates
· landlord/ tenant issues which are not directly related to a person’s disability.
Contact the DLC: 236-427-1108 Toll Free 1-800-663-1278 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
· The Right Fit Program: We match affordable, accessible homes and independent living supports with people who need wheelchair-accessible housing. Contact the Right Fit Program: 604-875-0188, Toll Free 1-800-663-1278 or email: RightFit@disabilityalliancebc.org