ABORIGINAL HEAD START PROGRAM (Licensed pre-school), COMOX VALLEY
To foster the early childhood development of Aboriginal children
“OUR CHILD, OUR FUTURE”
Aboriginal Head Start offers two programs a day from Monday to Thursday at 9 am – 11:15 am or 12:45 pm – 3:30 pm. This is a licensed preschool that for children ages 3 to 5 years (must be 3 by December 31st).
This program focuses on Aboriginal Culture, has qualified Early Childhood Educators and provides transportation and meals. The registration is always open and has no charge.
The overall goal of the Comox Valley Aboriginal Head Start program is to foster the early childhood development of Aboriginal children in conjunction with plans and methods designed by Aboriginal people for aboriginal people.
- To foster the spiritual, emotional, intellectual and physical growth of the children.
- To foster a desire for lifelong learning.
- To support parents, guardians, and extended family as the primary teachers and caregivers of their children.
- To foster a holistic approach to learning and living based on the values of Aboriginal peoples.
- To foster the preservation of Aboriginal culture.
- To ensure the efficient and effective management of all aspects of the program.
The Program Integrates Six Components:
- Culture & Language
- Health Promotion
- Social support
- Parental & family involvement
The Comox Valley Aboriginal Head Start Program is funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada, MCFD, and is sponsored by UIWONA.
956 Grieve Avenue
Courtenay, BC V9N 2T9
9:00 to 11:15am program
12:45 to 3:30pm program
For more information contact Linda Walton, Program Coordinator: